I love the beginning of a new school year. As the parent of three girls I know how much work it takes to be sure they start well. If you have children in school then you know what I’m talking about — and you deserve a Double Chocolaty Chip Crème Frappuccino for your effort! On behalf of Safe Harbor I want to encourage you by providing 10 tips to help your student continue their great start and have an amazing school year:
- Pray for your family regularly. A great resource is yourhomeahouseofprayer.com
- Attend Back-to-School Night and Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Support and encourage teachers and school staff
- Take school attendance and punctuality seriously
- Don’t overextend them with too many sports and activities
- Limit screen time and oversee their social media exposure
- Regularly attend church youth group and small group meetings
- Ask them about their homework, then ask again. Magically they’ll remember more.
- Stick to reasonable bed times
- Prioritize family mealtime at least five times a week. Too busy? The evidence is on the table:
Compared to 12- and 13-year olds who have frequent family dinners, those who have infrequent family dinners are 6 times likelier to have used marijuana, more than 4 ½ times likelier to have used tobacco, more than 2 ½ times likelier to have used alcohol according to this report.