We hope you have enjoyed our first ever “trilogy of posts” as we delved into Marriage & Money and how they go hand in hand. As a quick recap:
- In Part 1, we discussed how important having a plan for handling finances is for your marriage and also reviewed God’s Plan for Marriage and how Satan attacks marriages. If you missed it, just click here…★ Thought for the Day – Marriage & Money – Part 1 ★ to get caught up.
- In Part 2, we discussed the Differences between Men and Women and most importantly, how we must have God at the center of our marriage if we ever want to have unity. If you missed it, just click here…★ Thought for the Day – Marriage & Money – Part 2 ★ to get caught up.
- In Part 3, we discussed People’s View of Money vs. God’s View of Money and how this plays into our marriages which was based on Jesus’ famous Sermon on the Mount. If you missed it, just click here…★ Thought for the Day – Marriage & Money – Part 3 ★ to get caught up.
So what’s next? How do we elevate our marriages to reach unity and oneness in our finances? Through…
- Prayer really works. Someone once said, “Prayer should be our first response rather than our last resort.”
- Get into the Word of God; find out what the bible says about marriage and money. Don’t just stop at this class, dig in for yourself and continue to learn.
- Get into the Word of God; find out what the bible says about marriage and money. Don’t just stop at reading these posts, dig in for yourself and continue to learn.
The first step is always the hardest but Proverbs 16:3 gives us the direction,
So if you want unity in your marriage and in your finances you need to get into the Presence of the Lord through these three areas.
Here is some Practical Application, common sense but good reminders….
1. Teamwork = Unity in Marriage. You are a team so you need to act like one!
- Ephesians 4:2 (NIV1984) says, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”
- James E. Hunton once said, “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”
2. Forgive One Another – No one is perfect and you are bound to make mistakes.
- Ephesians 4:26-27 (NIV1984) warns us that, “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.”
- And follows up in verse 32, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32 (NIV1984)
3. Think Before you Speak
- Proverbs 16:24 (NLT) instructs us that, “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
- And Proverbs 16:24 (NKJV) says, “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.”
4. Work on Budget Together = Unity in Finances will result
- Proverbs 21:5 (NLT) says, “Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.”
- The Living Bible translates Proverbs 21:5 a little simpler, “Steady plodding brings prosperity.”
- If you have a plan, a budget and you work that plan consistently, God promises that you will be prospered.
5. Learn, Learn, Learn
- The late great motivational speaker, Zig Ziglar said that we need to “Commit to being a lifetime learner.”
- You can’t just read one book or attend one class; you need to continually learn in order to be successful in Marriage and Money. I love what Dave Ramsey said about winning in your finances,
- “Winning at money is 80% behavior and 20% head knowledge.” Dave Ramsey, Total Money Makeover
I will close with my favorite quote from John Wooden:
So now the choice is yours. What will you do with this information?
- Will you chose to trust God and put him in control of your life?
- Will you chose to change your behavior in how you relate to your spouse and your finances?
- Will you chose to start tithing?
- Or will you chose to do nothing at all?
“In the end, the choice you make makes you.” If you will commit to follow God’s principle’s for our Marriages and Finances than we will have unity in both. Remember “Nothing changes if nothing changes.”
Keep an eye out, we will be starting a new segment called “Back to the Basics,” where we will be tapping into the fundamentals of Christianity, and getting back to the roots of our faith. While you wait, you can read our very first blog post which is a great preamble to this segment, called ★ Thought for the Day – I Hate Religion and I’m a Christian… ★ that really captures what Daily Dependence are all about!!
Latest posts by Ron S. (see all)
- ★ Thought for the Day – He is Risen Indeed! ★ - April 21, 2019
- ★ Back to the Basics – The Unsung Hero of the Trinity – Part 3 ★ - February 10, 2019
- ★ Back to the Basics – The Unsung Hero of the Trinity – Part 2 ★ - February 5, 2019
- ★ Back to the Basics – The Unsung Hero of the Trinity – Part 1 ★ - February 4, 2019